This will be a new page that will be updated on (about) a WEEKLY basis to collate any features or bugs/problems you and I wish Symbian to have. Some features maybe:
- already in the works for next firmware (or next version of that app),
- some maybe coming in future firmware (longer wait due to being more complex)
- some may be features that we’ve had before that are now missing
- some well might not have been considered before.
But who will view this? Well, we’ll try and get this towards the right Nokia folk. Currently right now Alex68 has asked for easily fixed bugs In this post we’ll try to organize these comments (and our own suggestions) to make them easier to navigate and for you guys to share your opinions whether you think they’re good ideas or whether you feel you can improve on them.
NOTE: These are just SUGGESTIONS and SHOULD NOT ALL just be implemented at the drop of a hat without quite some consideration. We don’t want a mish mash of random ideas. Everything needs to be a coherent part of the entire system. The ultimate goal should be whilst adding features, making it simple and easy to use (and not buggering up anything else with complexity or bugs by its addition). Note that certain things are heavily personal-preference based and some folk may be happy with how things are currently.
Symbian is already going through many internal changes. Especially now that Nokia is bringing it back in house for development and transformation into Full Qt based UI. Whilst that’s all happening, we can discuss the sort of features we’d look forward to. Perhaps they can be implemented into S^3 – perhaps they might appear in future revision of the OS.
For Feature Wishlist
Just describe as best as possible what feature you want. What situation would that new feature be useful in?
It may be as short as a few words or a few lines if it’s more complicated. Drop pictures/screenshots to clarify if you want.
Submit your Phone’s Model Number (e.g. N8) and current firmware (press *#0000#) and state where purchased (region and network dependencies may affect).
This will be collated under “Bugs” for that phone and if that ever gets fixed we’ll move it over and strikethrough it
I might need to move this to a separate page since Features Wishlist may get too big.
1. HOMESCREEN ACCESSIBLE TIMED PROFILE: Did you know that you can set your profile to a new one for a set time period and after that it will expire and return to the previous? Maybe not as this feature is buried in menus. When would this be useful e.g. Going to a meeting, phone one silent for an hour. After that hour, automatically back to “general” or whatever so you won’t miss calls. Maybe you aren’t so forgetful but I am.
SOLUTION: Make the timed profile option accessible from profile. Perhaps via long press or a clock icon at side of profile name.
2. LANDSCAPE TO PORTRAIT ANIMATION TRANSITION: In menu/ homescreen and generally everywhere, I’d like to SEE the phone changing to landscape or portrait. I DON’T want it to black out and look like it’s crashed. Even if it switches SUPER fast (which it doesn’t) there’s something very pleasing to see something appear to behave intuitively for you as to reorientate itself.
Note – MeeGo 1.1 already has these nice transitions. Now come on Symbian 🙂
3. LANDSCAPE MODE ON BOTH SIDES: Some folk have suggested this feature. Not sure to what extend they want this. Perhaps Photo mode 360degree rotation, browser 270 degree, same with menu. Certain apps of course will be restrained by the creators but Nokia ones like Ovi Maps should be fine.
4. CHANGING AM/PM BY TAPPING IT: Something I didn’t find immediately obvious was changing from AM/PM – this is when you’ve set yourself a 12 hour clock and need to set alarms (or during initial phone set up). Currently you have to press something on the keypad instead of just pressing or sliding up/down (like a number wheel).
5. CLOSE OTHER APPS: When I’m using a certain app (e.g. a game), I may realise I don’t not need all the others (or have to close if it’s quite a heavy intensive game) and just want to quickly shut them down. Currently we can “close all” but that means even the app you’re currently using.
6. FASTER REACTION OF LONG PRESS MENU BUTTON FOR MULTITASKING: It feels (for me) like it takes way to long to multitask. Multitasking isn’t just about doing a lot of tasks simultaneously but also being able to switch quickly from one main task to another. This is what made Maemo 5 multitasking so good as not only did it multitask a hell of a load FOR REAL I could switch so quickly from one window to another. btw, in the time it takes me to bring up multitask, I have already switched windows on maemo.
SOLUTION: If we’re sticking with long press maybe around 0.5 seconds MAX.
7. CUSTOM SMS TONE FOR INDIVIDUAL CONTACTS:
8. MULTITOUCH KEYBOARD: In order to type fast on T9 QWERTY, Portrait QWERTY or landscape QWERTY with TWO hands you NEED multitouch. When one finger is on one key, no other keys are registered. KEYBOARD MAY NEED OWN CATEGORY as the importance of good input should not be overlooked. This was one of the first things I wrote about N8 wise (though still in my drafts after I installed SWYPE).
9. PORTRAIT QWERTY: In the works. Some folks just want the option. I’m one of those. Hopefully it won’t be as cramped as the keyboard we saw in leaks.whose product with 7 is 154 how many technology devices are there what development accounted for the failure weegy where is number system from how much solution in lateral flow test how long startup repair takes who solution recipe for rehydration where startup folder in windows 8 why business major which teaching methods can be used by teachers how many technology parks are in india who's are whose how many design slots acnh where product key windows 7 where to study entrepreneurship in south africa how much solution to put in contact case why teaching middle school is the best how many start up business fail what system is the liver part of entrepreneur where will i be in 10 years startup who is rebecca stroud why technology is important in education how system bet works who science council genomics what teaching jobs are in demand how many system of a down albums are there teachers day which project element is an accessibility feature where is derby from london how many teaching positions are open in nc where system32 who road map where system preferences mac how long system alcohol who teaches aang firebending where is tommy from design inc how many device can use hbo max who science division why startups fail book what management style am i why solutions must be standardized where does energy come from science when technology spillover occurs how many technology standard e commerce has how many startup in usa how many development region in nepal what start up business is successful teaching where are you from